Night markets in Langkawi are held every day of the week, taking place in prominent locations such as Pantai Cenang, Kuah, and Padang Matsirat. Locally known as pasar malam, it is a lively affair with local vendors setting up makeshift stalls along a stretch of road and selling all kinds of local items from 17:00 until late.
Great for bargain hunters, these markets offer an extensive array of inexpensive clothes, fresh produce, trinkets, watches, sunglasses, wallets and handbags, paintings, DVDs and many other knick-knacks. Best of all, prices can be brought lower still as haggling is practiced here. Do note, however that many of these items, such as wallets and handbags are imitation goods.
Interested in this tour? Book it here.
Langkawi’s street markets are also popular for sampling various types of freshly prepared Malay food such as pisang goreng (fried bananas), keropok lekor (fish crackers), nasi lemak, fried noodles and nasi ayam (chicken rice). Priced between RM2 and RM8, night markets are definitely the cheapest places in Langkawi to enjoy authentic local delicacies. While these items are packed in plastic bags and Styrofoam containers, we highly recommend bringing a tiffin carrier, container or reusable bag to help reduce wastage in Langkawi.
Night markets are relatively enjoyable shopping experiences in Langkawi where you can see throngs of friendly locals, expats, and tourists strolling through colourful stalls and sampling delicious street snacks.
Ulu Melaka Market
- Opening Hours: Monday 17:30 – 22:00
- Location: Jalan Makam Mahsuri Lama, Ulu Melaka, Langkawi
- Opening Hours: Tuesday 17:30 – 22:00
- Location: Kedawang (near Pantai Cenang)
Kuah Night Market
Every Wednesday and Saturday
- Opening Hours: Wednesday 17:30 – 22:00
- Location: Kuah Town
Temoyong Night Market
- Opening Hours: Thursday, 17:00 – 22:00
- Location: Kampung Temoyong, Mukim Kedawang, Pantai Cenang
Air Hangat Night Market
- Opening Hours: Friday 17:30 – 22:00
- Location: Padang Lalang, Air Hangat, Langkawi
Padang Matsirat Night Market
- Opening Hours: Sunday 17:30 – 22:00
- Location: Kampung Raja, Mukim Padang Matsirat (opposite the Field of Burnt Rice)